We accept donations
to support our work.
Sponsored Links to
Zenni Optical. High-quality eyeglasses at amazingly low prices
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. Trustworthy information on dietary supplements and herbs
PharmacyChecker.com: Compare drug prices and save money at verified online pharmacies.
ConsumerLab.com: Evaluates the quality of dietary supplement and herbal products.
Chelation therapy is a series of intravenous infusions containing EDTA and various other substances. It is falsely claimed to be effective against cardiovascular disease, autism, and many other diseases and conditions. Because chelation has valid use in some cases of heavy metal poisoning, many practitioners falsely diagnose lead, mercury, or other heavy metal toxicity to trick patients into undergoing chelation. This Web site explains why doctors who advocate the general use of chelation therapy should be avoided.
About Chelation Watch
- Chelation Therapy: Unproven Claims and Unsound Theories
- The Pharmacology of Chelation Therapy
- Chelation Therapy and Insurance Fraud
- Questions and Answers about Chelation Therapy (American Heart Association)
- Heavy Metals and Your Health: Frequently asked questions about testing,
treatment and prevention (posted 8/31/15) FEATURE
- National Council Against Health Fraud Policy Statement
- EDTA Chelation Therapy for Atherosclerosis and Degenerative Diseases: Implausibility and Paradoxical Oxidant Effects
- Birmingham Technology Assessment Group Report
- Chelation Treatment of Autism Is Bogus
- Be Wary of "Board Certification" in Clinical Metal Toxicology (link to Quackwatch)
- DMPS Is Not a Legal Drug (posted 1/25/10)
- Package Insert for Calcium Disodium Versenate
- Three Deaths Associated with Hypocalcemia from Chelation Therapy (posted 3/2/06)
- Hair Analysis
- Dubious Mercury Testing
- Why "Provoked" Testing for Heavy Metals Is Improper (posted 5/4/16)
- How "Provoked" Urine Metal Tests are Used to Mislead Patients
- Lead Poisoning: Medical Guidelines for the Exposed Worker
- Effects of an EDTA infusion on the urinary elimination of several elements in healthy subjects
- EDTA treatment of intermittent claudication: A double-blind, placebo-controlled study
- Chelation therapy for ischemic heart disease: a randomized, controlled trial
- Why the NIH Study of Chelation Therapy Should Have Been Stopped (updated 11/16/12)
- U.S. Public Health Service Assessment (1981) (posted 9/25/06)
- Medicare Policy for Chelation Therapy (posted 8/24/04)
- CIGNA Attacks Chelation Fraud (posted 2/22/05)
- CHAMPUS Denies Coverage if Chelation Therapy (1983) (posted 10/2/08)
- Govermnent Moves to Stop Improper Medicare Payment for Chelation Therapy and Provoked Testing (posted 10/25/12)
- Court Rules Physician Has No Duty to Inform Patients about Chelation Therapy (posted 8/11/04)
- Edelson Center Sued Twice for Fraud and Malpractice
- Fraud Charged in Chelation-Related Death
- Suit Filed against Australian Chelationist
- "Autism Specialists" Sued
Medical Board Policies
- New Hampshire Medical Board Limits Chelation Therapy
- Oregon Statement of Philosophy: Chelation Therapy (posted 11/25/14)
- Tennessee Medical Board Limits Chelation Therapy
Other Regulatory Actions
- A Close Look at "Dr." Paula Bickle
- Chelation "Board" Denied Certification Provider Status in Florida
- Chelationist Charged with Insurance Fraud
- Chelation Clinic Owner Sentenced to Prison for Fraud (posted 3/6/09)
- Chiropractor Convicted of Chelation Fraud
- FDA Warns against Using Oral "Chelation Therapy" Products (posted 10/14/10)
- FDA Attacks Oral "Chelation Therapy" Products and Heavy Metal Screening Test (posted 10/21/10)
- FDA Issues Chelation Therapy Warning (posted 1/18/08)
- FTC Action against Organization Promoting Chelation Therapy
- Discliplinary Proceedings against Eleazar M. Kadile, M.D.
- Disciplinary Actions against Robban Sica, M.D.
- Disciplinary Action against Bozena Rozum-Slota, M.D.
- Disciplinary Actions against Donald E. Soli, M.D.
- Questionable Activities of John E. Stauch, Ph.D.
- Disciplinary Action against Pieter J. De Wet, M.D.
- Disciplinary Action against Serafina Corsello, M.D.
- Index of 100+ State Board Disciplinary Actions (revised 9/1/15)
- New Zealand Advertising Regulator Objects to Chelation Claims (1995) (posted 9/4/15)
Links to Other Sites
Ring (health-related frauds, myths, fads, and fallacies)
Navigate: Next Site || Previous Site || Random || Next 5 || All Sites
Ring (examines paranormal phenomena and fringe science)
Navigate: Next Site || Previous Site: || Random || Next 5 || All Sites
Chelation Watch home
page visitors since 7/2/04:
- Most recent update: May 4, 2016
Site indexing is done daily at 5:00 AM
All articles on this Web site except government reports are copyrighted.
- Single copies can be downloaded for personal education; other uses without authorization are illegal.
- "Quackwatch" and the duck picture are service-marked; their
unauthorized use is illegal.
Site design was developed by Marty Mapes of Boulder Information Services